Saturday, November 6, 2010

Paris Amazed Mom - Friday, 5 November

I thought of my mom (now gone almost 6 years) today as I was trying to enjoy my lunch of roasted chicken, parsleyed potatoes and Leffe ale (my favorite!). A group of four guys were two tables away. They first shared a bottle of champagne (I wonder what the occasion was) and were really enjoyng themselves, laughing and arguing quite loudly! This is traditionally "not done"in France - normally people talk at a low volume and intensely focus on each other in conversation. And the sound systems in restaurants are usually at a moderate volume, so one doesn't have to shout to be heard. (Have you noticed the trend to louder and louder sound systems in the U.S.?) But we were sitting at tables outside on the sidewalk, where "the rules" are a bit more relaxed.

Anyhoo, back to my mom. When we were kids she really didn't approve of too much gabbing at the dinner table. She would use a phrase in Swedish which roughly translates to "let you food keep your mouth silent."

Well, when these guys' food came (big hunks of grilled beef and sauteed potatoes and a bottle of red wine), the volume subsided considerably and only one or two of them spoke at once! Unfortunately, they ate very quickly and their festive converstion jumped right back to loud! I hope it was about sports - I don't know since I really don't speak French. It mangled my musings, but it managed to make me remember mom.

I brought my mom & dad to Paris about 20 years ago.  My dad had been in France in WW II but my mom had never been here.  It amazed her.  At least 10 times a day, she would say, "I just can't get over the way they...." (fill in the blank with comments about eating, transportation, conversing, shopping, etc.).  But she wouldn't have been quite so amazed at these guys!

Here's the view from my table after I finished lunch. The dark red awning about halfway down the block on the right is a store called G.Detou.  It's THE place to get all your baking supplies plus chocolate, preserves, honeys, candied fruits, nuts and nut flours, etc. etc. etc. Guess where I shopped after lunch?

No comments: