Thursday, May 23, 2024

Ups & Downs…or Not! - Thursday, 23 May


I was on pins and needles a bit yesterday because I learned on Tuesday that the elevator isn't working in the building housing my Paris apartment.  EEK!  The company was called a couple times, and a technician had been assigned, but apparently no repair yet.  Actually the carriage itself seemed to work, you just couldn't open the exterior elevator door on the ground floor or 1st or 2nd floors, either from the outside or the inside.  Kevin, who's using the apartment this week, wrote to say that he could get in on the 3rd floor (our floor) and ride down to the ground level but then couldn't open the door.  He rode back up to 3rd and was able to get out.  Weird.   

So last night I found a slightly tacky (décor-wise) hotel about a block from my apartment and contacted them re. a room, should I need it. They had only one room remaining and needed a credit card deposit by this morning to hold it.  Five minutes before I had to finalize the transaction, I got word from Luz, our apartment’s concierge, that the elevator was fixed – she even sent video of her entering the elevator on the ground floor, riding up to 3rd floor, and opening the door!  Phew and PTL!


This is a 14th century building (it's the one on the far right - my apartment is on the penultimate floor), and although the elevator isn't that old 🤣, I can imagine that it shifts a little from time to time with weather changes or whatever, which could cause the elevator mechanisms to go a bit goofy.  Still, a girl needs a lift!

Apartment info here:

No comments: