Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Big 6-0 Birthday Dinner at L’Ambroisie! Saturday, 20 June

First, the bottom line: L’Ambroisie lives up to its hype. It was everything I had hoped for, and more.

I’ve wanted to eat here for decades, but haven’t been able to get in for a variety of reasons (reservations required six months in advance until only recently, difficulty booking a table for one person, a bit of a prejudice for native French-speakers and against Americans). But my dear friend and long-time eatin’ and drinkin’ and theatre buddy Dale Halladay persisted and was able to make reservations for himself, his wife Mimi Haddad (another dear friend – I introduced them!) and me. What a gift! I still choke up when I think about it. Many people consider this to be the best restaurant in Paris, and therefore probably the best in France, and therefore probably the best in the world. As I mentioned in an earlier blog entry, it’s one of 10 Michelin 3-Star restaurants (the highest possible rating) in Paris; there are 25 in France and 70 in the world.

It’s going to take me a while to recap the dinner and insert photos, so come back to this blog entry if you’re interested in some vicarious thrills! Meanwhile, I’ll just give you a photo of the interior, a room fit for royalty but which, given the spectacularly gracious service, didn’t feel like a place where we didn’t belong (which is good, since I forgot my tiara at home!). We sat at the round table in the corner, at the back of the picture. As Mimi observed, the food and the place and the graciousness gave us a taste of the heavenlies.

No comments: